Delicious"bakery style"banana chocolate chip muffins made a bit healthier.
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
My toddler and I have been baking with bananas like crazy that last couple of months.It all started with us having a few ripe bananas in the house that I needed to use.However,we quickly worked our way through those and we weren't off the banana kick yet!So we bought some more bananas and got a little creative in"speeding up"the banana ripening process (baking the bananas — more on that later) just to have more ripe bananas to work with.
My toddler may think I'm weird,but at least we had fun together 🙂
Wait,you can speed-up the ripening process of bananas??
YES!And it actually works pretty well.Simply place a few bananas on a baking tray and bake at 350 degrees F for 6-12 minutes (depending on how ripe the bananas are to begin with).They're ready to go when the skins turn black!!
Now that you've got some ripe bananas,let's get to baking!!
How do you 亚博体育下载二维码make chocolate banana muffins??
Tips to making these healthy double chocolate banana muffins:
- Use fullyripe bananas.I've already said it,but I'll say it again — when they are their ripest they are also at their sweetest.I've found when the skins are pretty much covered in speckles they 亚博体育下载二维码make for the very best banana baked good.
- Layer on thechocolate.Making these chocolate banana muffins with cocoa powder AND chocolate chips is what 亚博体育下载二维码makes them taste so good!Experiment with your favorite chocolate chips – I've included my favorite combination in the recipe below.
- Add someGreek yogurt.I've tried 3-4 different types of Greek yogurt in these.Plain or vanilla is best with vanilla being my absolute top preference on flavor.The type of yogurt you use matters — the creamier and thicker the yogurt,the better these are.
- Finally add theFlour: I remove 1 tablespoon of the flour and replace it with cornstarch to 亚博体育下载二维码make a lighter"cake-like"flour.This gives the muffins a lightness comparable to bakery style muffins!!
Delicious"bakery style"chocolate banana muffins made a bit healthier -- lots of mashed up banana,Greek yogurt,and far less sugar than a typical bakery style muffin.
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour or plain white flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup miniature dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup vanilla or plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brown sugar lightly packed
- 1 cup extremely ripe bananas (2-3 bananas)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Generously coat a muffin tin with cooking spray and then dust the cavities with cocoa powder.These muffins stick to muffin liners so I do not recommend using them.
Remove 1 tablespoon of the 1 cup of flour.
In a small bowl,toss together the remaining flour (after removing 1 tablespoon from the 1 cup),cornstarch,baking soda,salt,cocoa powder,and both types of chocolate chips.Stir.
亚博体育下载二维码Make sure your bananas are at their very ripest (black skins are best;see post to speed up the ripening process if not all the way ripe.) Remove the skins and mash the bananas extremely well.
In another bowl,briskly whisk together the egg and Greek yogurt.Stir in the melted coconut oil (slightly cooled,but measure in it's melted state),vanilla extract,brown sugar,and the extremely ripe mashed bananas.
Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix until JUST combined.Over-mixing results in denser muffins.
Separate the batter evenly among the 12 cavities or fill up 9-10 for extra large muffins.
Bake for 18-23 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of a muffin.
Allow to cool and then remove from the muffin tin.(Use a butterknife to cut around the edges and help pull them out!)
Store in an airtight container in the fridge up to 3 days.
When ready to enjoy a muffin,microwave for 15-20 seconds.Spread with peanut butter if desired!!
The dark chocolate chips is purely for a healthier option.If you don't like dark chocolate feel free to use milk chocolate or semi-sweet -- whichever you like best!!